There is not much to say about this highway, since it is only in the Commonwealth for a mere half mile. Signed in 1934, the first change to the route took place in 1946 when the western terminus was moved from US 6 in Milford, via a multiplex with US 209, to the end of Milford Beach Road. Construction began on the Milford-Montague Toll Bridge on October 15, 1951. It was built to replace a steel, toll-free crossing that was constructed during the horse-and-buggy era in 1890 but couldn't handle the numbers and weights of 20th Century vehicles. The current span opened on December 30, 1953 and cost $2 million to build. That same year it was named as one of the ten most beautiful steel bridges in a national competition conducted by the American Institute of Steel Construction. It is 1,150-feet-long and is the northern-most bridge under the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission jurisdiction. Since the bridge was built downriver from the old span, a new roadway was built to connect to US 209 which removed the designation from Milford Beach Road.
Time began to take its toll, no pun intended, on the Milford-Montague Toll Bridge by the 21st Century. Work began in February 2008 on a project to rehabilitate the bridge which also included patching and a new asphalt surface with new shoulders on the Pennsylvania approach, additional signage added to the approaches, and replacement of the toll plaza with two new booths and a dedicated E-ZPass lane. The existing pre-cast concrete deck panels were replaced with new pre-cast concrete deck panels that were overlaid with asphalt. Several deteriorated support stringers under the deck were also replaced and the entire superstructure under the deck was sand blasted and painted. The DRJTBC officially rededicated the bridge with a ceremony on the grounds of the Commission's administration building next to the toll plaza that included an opera singer and an antique car procession through the toll plaza. State, county, and local elected officials from New Jersey and Pennsylvania joined Commission representatives for the event which marked the end of the $19.1 million project.
When the Coronavirus, or COVID-19, pandemic swept into the country in March 2020, the Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission took measures to stem the spread to their employees and staff. At 10:00 PM on March 24, all tolled bridges, including the Milford-Montague Toll Bridge, went to a cashless toll collection system. E-ZPass users would pass through the plazas as normal, and drivers who normally paid by cash were directed to the far right lane of the toll plazas and to have their license plate captured. A bill for the toll only, without additional administrative or violation fees, would then be sent to their address which would then have to be paid within 30 days or else each unpaid transaction would face a $30 violation fee. At 11 PM on May 13, the DRJTBC began accepting cash payments again. Additional safety measures were put in place, such as toll collection staff being given plastic face shields, masks, and nitrile gloves. They also encouraged drivers paying by cash to wear a face covering when using a cash lane.
US 206 is the only US route in Pennsylvania that is maintained solely by an entity other than PennDOT. The National Park Service has jurisdiction over the route since it is located within the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area.
E-ZPass - Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission
Milford-Montague Toll Bridge - Delaware River Joint Toll Bridge Commission
Terminus of US 206 - Dale Sanderson
Terminus of US 206 in Pennsylvania - Tim Reichard
US 206 Junction List - Tim Reichard
|Southern Entrance:||New Jersey state line at the Milford-Montague Toll Bridge in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area|
|Northern Terminus:||US 209 in the Delaware Water Gap National Recreation Area|
|National Highway System:||Entire length|
*No SR is assigned because US 206 is maintained by the National Park Service.
|Former LR Designations:||None|