|Click on a county for their secondary highways
How the System is Designated
0001 - 0999: Interstates, US Routes, and PA Routes (Traffic Routes)
1000 - 1999: Northeast Quadrant Routes (Non-Traffic Routes)1
2000 - 2999: Southeast Quadrant Routes (Non-Traffic Routes)1
3000 - 3999: Southwest Quadrant Routes (Non-Traffic Routes)1
4000 - 4999: Northwest Quadrant Routes (Non-Traffic Routes)1
5000 - 5999: Non-toll PA Turnpike Routes
6000 - 6999: Relocated Traffic Routes2
7000 - 7999: Turnbacks, Abandoned, or Nulls
8001 - 8999: Interchanges3
9101 - 9199: WYEs4
9201 - 9299: Rest Areas5
9301 - 9399: Truck Escape Ramps5
9401 - 9499: Others
9501 - 9599: Park and Ride
1. The first digit of a quadrant route is based on the quadrant of the county in which the route is located.
2. The last three digits of a relocated traffic route are the same as the traffic route that was relocated.
3. Interchanges are numbered sequentially. Odd numbers are given to interchanges along SRs in the north/south direction; even numbers are given to interchanges along SRs in the east/west direction.
4. WYEs are given odd numbers if the connecting SR is odd numbered, and even numbers if the connecting SR is even numbered.
5. Rest areas or truck escape ramps are given odd numbers if they connect to the southbound or westbound side of an SR, and even numbers if they connect to the northbound or eastbound side.
Odd numbered SRs are assigned to north/south directions and even number SRs are assigned to east/west directions. The odd/even convetion MAY NOT apply to US or PA traffic routes.
If two or more traffic routes occupy the same section of roadway, the following hierarchy applies:
- Interstate Routes
- US Routes
- PA Routes
- Quadrant Routes
If the traffic routes are the same hierarchy class, then the SR number is assigned the lower numbered traffic route.
- Highway Transfer Turnback Program - PennDOT
- Location Reference System - PennDOT
- The "Logic" of the Commonwealth Route System - Adam Prince
- Pennsylvania's Decommissioned State Routes - Adam Prince
- Pennsylvania State Highway Video Log - PennDOT
- Pennsylvania State Routes - Tim Reichard
- The Pennsylvania State Route Numbering System - Tim Reichard
- Traffic Information Repository (TIRe) - PennDOT